Perfect for a cold and rainy Autumn afternoon.
- construction paper – orange, green
- markers, crayons
- stick glue
- paper bag
After cutting 10 – 15 pumpkin shapes from orange construction paper, and glueing tiny green stems to each, hide the pumpkins throughout a room. Then, with a bag in hand, allow your child to search for and collect the pumpkins.
There are lots of ways to extend and adjust this activity.
- After collecting pumpkins, count the harvest
- Allow children to decorate the pumpkins and collection bags.
- Rather than setting the children loose on an “easter egg” hunt, give them verbal clues to locate the pumpkins. “Turn left, step back, look up…”
- Use the pumpkins in other activities like a memory game
- Write letters or numbers on the pumpkins to reinforce recognition